Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Disgusting, Disrespectful, Disagree, Dislike



Advertisements are everywhere. Some promote good things, others not so much. I think those selected ads are a bit inappropriate. I also think they're ineffective. The people are trying to promote there products in different creative ways.


The first one is an ad trying to promote ingestion of tapeworms. I find that really disgusting. The ad is saying is that if you consume "Sanitized Tapeworms" they will eat all the fat in your body and you will stay thin forever, no matter how much you eat. This ad is probably a health risk, as well as it sends a bad message. It’s telling younger viewers that eating worms is better than being overweight. They're sending the wrong message to young children that may be concerned and self conscience about their weight. You probably wouldn't find an advertisement like this one around in modern days as it wouldn't be passed by Canadian Television.

The second ad is a picture of a man blowing smoke from a cigarette into a woman’s face. The Caption reads "Blow in her face and she'll follow you anywhere." I find this advertisement sexist and degrading to women. This Ad promotes the cigarette brand Tipalet. I find this ad disrespectful to women. It promotes disrespectful behaviour towards women. I also disagree with this ad. Blowing smoke in a woman's face will not make her want to follow you. In many different ways, this ad is inappropriate.

The third ad is a picture of a doctor smoking a cigarette with the caption: "More doctors smoke camels than any other cigarette." The people promoting Camel cigarettes tried to interpret doctors into the ad to prove that the cigarettes aren't as harmful, because even doctors approve of them. I am surprised that this ad was published because I strongly disagree with the statement. I don't think they have enough statistics and proof to say that doctors smoke Camel’s more than other cigarettes. I think this fact is neither reliable nor true. I am also surprised they went through such desperate measure just to try to promote their product.

The last ad promotes the consumption of lard. The ad says that eating lard will make a family happy. It also shows a picture of a family including a child. I think this ad can be a health issue. I don't think it is exactly safe for a young child to be ingesting lard. The ad promotes very unhealthy products and claims you will have a healthy lifestyle by eating it. I think this ad may have been effective because many people would have been able to relate to it. Whether they had a family, or they wanted to be happy.

These ads are very different than modern ads. I have not seen ads as disturbing as some of the ones above. However I think that some of the messages are similar. Many ads I see nowadays are referring to weight loss, or attracting women. They present the same message in a different, more appropriate way.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kyle.

    First, I love the title of the blog. It's smart.

    Secondly, I totally agree with you. The ads of the past might have had good intentions of simply selling their prodcut, but they did so in the weridest, most unconventional way possible, that the absurdity of the ad itself overshadows the product (don't get me started on Tapeworms, though.)

    ReplyDelete